The pattern called this dress a 'jumper' but its not any type of jumper I know of! Im calling it a Winter Dress because it is quite different than the Pinafore I made yesterday so I am re-naming it! After making the reversible pinafore yesterday I decided I wanted to tackle something a little more challenging. I still had all my cords out so I decided to make this dress. There were 14 pieces all together so lots of cutting and organising and also lots of sewing involved. I used a pattern I got at Spotlight a while ago for $2. It is harder than most patterns I have used because it assumes you know alot about sewing and doesn't give clear directions or clear pictures so I had to muddle through bits of it. I also had trouble because I live in a small town and it is hard to get the things you need to make it perfect, like zips and bias binding. I ended up finding a zip at the op-shop this morning but I could only find a purple one and it was really long. The lovely ladies at the shop explained how to cut it down to size before I sewed it in. I don't mind the colour of it because it matches the purple in the flowers. I had some bias binding that I used for the sleeves. Overall I am really happy with it. The zip was challenging because I don't have a zipper foot but I didn't do a terrible job. I struggled a bit getting the hem even and I followed the instructions for the arm holes with the bias binding and did it as it suggested but I don't think I would do it that way again. The other issue was the size! It is way too big. I made a size 4 because the last few things I have made in a 3 have only just fitted. Rather than pull it apart and remake it I decided to alter it a bit. I sewed the shoulders up to lift the dress a bit so the waist of the dress sat in the right spot. Then I sewed the sides of the dress in below the arm holes. The skirt of the dress is a bit pinched because of this but I think the alterations were worth it because I can remove them as she grows and get lots of wear out of it.
My favourite part of the dress is the bodice, this was tricky but it came out really well. I also like my colour choices. At the last minute I decided to add the floral panel in the middle of the bodice and I love it. I only bought half a meter of that floral cord and so far I have made three things with it and there is still plenty left! I also love the floral panels in the skirt, they hide until she moves.
Babywise Success Happens Over and Over Again
11 hours ago